Just one day after illegal alien Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, who killed Kate Steinle in the sanctuary city of San Francisco, was declared “not guilty,” another illegal alien was handed a lengthy prison sentence for brutal assaults on two women in the sanctuary city of Portland, Oregon, last July.
Sergio Jose Martinez, 31, an illegal alien who has been deported to Mexico a whopping 20 times, was sentenced to 35 years in prison Friday, Dec 1, after being convicted of sexual assault, sodomy and kidnapping charges against two women – and he smiled and smirked as the victims’ families testified of the grief he caused.
Just one week before the attacks, Martinez had been jailed for “interfering with police” and giving a false date of birth. However, Sheriff Michael Reese turned him loose, despite a hold request from ICE.
“He was released consistent with the orders of the court. No federal or state criminal warrants were present at the time he left our custody,” said Reese.
On the early morning of July 24, a 65-year-old woman was brutally attacked when Martinez broke into her apartment, then bound, blindfolded and sexually assaulted her. He then fled, stealing her purse and car.
By the time officers found the car later that day, they learned the same man had just been arrested for attacking another woman in a parking garage. Martinez approached the woman as she left work and, after overtaking her, slammed her head into the concrete floor over and over, while she screamed for help. Responding officers were able to chase him down and take him into custody.
During sentencing on Friday, the daughter of one of the victims spoke out against the violent attacks Martinez had committed, while he listened, smiled and even smirked at her words.
“You deserve more punishment than you have received here,” she said. “We don’t feel that justice has been served with this or any possible sentence. The only consolation is that a dangerous person is no longer in a place where he can hurt people because you have been caught and you are going to jail.”
One of the women’s brothers told Martinez, “Sergio, no sentencing is enough…I rather you rot in hell.”
When Martinez exited the courtroom, he told the women’s families “See all you guys in hell.”
According to KOIN 6 News, Martinez has a long criminal record, dating back to 2003. It is unclear when he first came to the United States, but at age 15, he went through a drug and alcohol treatment program in Texas and has been jailed in California and Oregon several times. He reportedly moved to Portland within the last three years, and criminal records show he has been arrested 13 times since 2008.
Police also have a total of 7 different names and several birth dates Martinez used over the years.
Court documents filed in March 2017 state: “Defendant has entry/removal from United States to/from Mexico 20 times with at least 5 probation violations from re-entry.”
The last time he was deported back to Mexico was in November 2016.
KOIN 6 News reported that U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions came to Portland in September and spoke about Martinez’s case, condemning the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office for releasing Martinez without notifying ICE.
MCSO said they were complying with state and federal law that prohibits them from releasing certain information on immigration matters.
“Unfortunately, after Zarate got acquitted, Martinez is now the boogeyman of the face of immigration,” Martinez’s lawyer, Jonathan Sarre, lamented in a phone interview, according to Fox News.
Regarding Martinez’s behavior in the courtroom, Sarre claimed Martinez “suffers from some mental illnesses, often such people may do inappropriate things in these situations.”
By the time Martinez serves his 35 years in prison, he will be 66 years old. At that time, ICE said they will take custody of him so he may be deported… again.
Sergio Martinez smiled throughout his change of plea, sentencing hearing as he receives 35 years in prison for two violent attacks in Northeast Portland. https://t.co/2QNQsw94Fh #KOIN6News #pdx pic.twitter.com/p1qTCWYOga
— Brent Weisberg (@BrentKOIN) December 1, 2017
"BUILD THE WALL" bumper stickers now on sale. (BUY NOW)
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Texas cop killed while working on his day off (videos)