Here are the five stories trending Thursday morning:
1) Congressman tells a woman on tape he would report her to Capitol Police because she could expose his secret sex life... Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, told a woman to whom he sent sexually explicit photos, videos and messages that he would report her to Capitol Police if she made any of the material public, The Washington Post reported late Wednesday.
The anonymous woman shared a recorded phone call with the Post in which Barton admitted that if their relationship was exposed, he would tell investigators: “I had a three-year undercover relationship with you over the Internet that was heavily sexual and that I had met you twice while married and had sex with you on two different occasions and that I exchanged inappropriate photographs and videos with you that I wouldn’t like to be seen made public, that you still apparently had all of those and were in position to use them in a way that would negatively affect my career.” READ MORE
2) Heavy security at Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade in NYC… The parade will feature heavy security, including officers with assault weapons and portable radiation detectors among the crowds, sharpshooters on rooftops, and sand-filled city sanitation trucks poised as imposing barriers to traffic at every cross street. READ MORE
3) MS-13 victim was stabbed 100 times, decapitated, had heart ripped out… A man murdered earlier this year by the MS-13 street gang was stabbed more than 100 times, decapitated and had his heart torn out of his chest and buried with him, Maryland authorities said Wednesday.
Montgomery County Police said one of the alleged killers, 19-year-old Miguel Angel Lopez-Abrego, was arrested Nov. 11 in North Carolina. Lopez-Abrego, known as “Timido,” has been charged with first-degree murder and was ordered held without bond after his first court appearance.
According to court documents citing interviews with a gang informant, up to 10 MS-13 members planned to lure the victim to the Silver Spring park where he was killed sometime this past spring. READ MORE.
4) Jeff Sessions orders review of gun background check system… U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Wednesday ordered a review of a government database used for background checks on gun buyers, after a man who killed 26 people in a Texas church was left off the system despite having a criminal record. READ MORE.
5) Zimbabwe, facing new leader, wonders, ‘Where is Mugabe?… As Zimbabwe, on Thursday, prepared to swear in its first new leader, Emmerson Mnangagwa, in 37 years, attention turned to the fate of Robert Mugabe and the wife who just days ago was poised to succeed him.
The 93-year-old Mugabe, who resigned on Tuesday as lawmakers began impeaching him, has not been seen–other than in a few photographs–since his stunning speech to the nation on Sunday night in which he defied calls to step down.
Mugabe was said to remain in the capital, Harare, with former First Lady Grace but it was not clear under what terms. Some wondered whether the former president had secured guarantees of protection, including immunity from prosecution. READ MORE
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Six Syrian refugees arrested in suspected Christmas terror plot