OMAR MARTEEN, the Islamic terrorist who killed 49 people and wounded 53 others at a gay bar in Orlando, Florida has a disturbing history.
According to the AP, Marteen frequently about sex and violence and before finishing high school was suspended for a total of 48 days, including for fighting and hurting classmates.
Here’s a list of his shady past:
1) A female bartender says Mateen stalked her and sent so many uncomfortable Facebook messages that she blocked him.
2) Dan Alley, now retired, served as the Dean of Students at Martin County High School where Mateen attended, said: “Teachers couldn’t seem to help him. We tried to counsel him and show him the error of his ways, but it never had the effect that we were hoping for.”
3) Mateen’s first wife claims he beat her.
4) The security company where he worked reassigned him after he made nasty comments about minorities.
5) For elementary and early middle school, Mateen attended a school in St. Lucie County, where teachers said he was disruptive and struggled academically.
6) A third-grade teacher wrote that he was “very active … constantly moving, verbally abusive, rude, aggressive.” The teacher described “much talk about violence & sex,” with Mateen’s “hands all over the place – on other children, in his mouth.”
7) In seventh grade, Mateen was put in a special class to “avoid conflicts with other students.” That same report said Mateen was doing poorly in several subjects because of “many instances of behavioral problems.”
8) In 1999, one of his teachers wrote a letter to Mateen’s father. The teacher noted: “His attitude and inability to show self-control in the classroom create distractions.”
“Unfortunately, Omar has great difficulty focusing on his classwork since he often seeks the attention of his classmates through some sort of noise, disruption or distraction,” the letter said.
9) Mateen withdrew from Martin County High School in 2003 and eventually graduated from Stuart Adult Community High School.
10) In 10th grade, he received a five-day suspension on Sept. 13, 2001, two days after the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon. The report states it was for a “rule violation”, but classmates have said it was because he celebrated the attacks.
11) The Dean of Students said Mateen’s father would not back up the school, and he would always take his son’s side.
12) Dina McHugh recalled Mateen taunting her about being a lesbian when they were in middle school. McHugh said Mateen’s teasing more than 16 years ago stung deeply enough that she paid him back by kicking him in the crotch.
“He was the jerk of the class,” McHugh said. “He just got on everybody’s nerves. He found a way to get underneath everybody’s skin.”
13) “He was one of those guys who wouldn’t leave me alone,” said bartender Heather LaSalla.
According to the AP:
A year after graduating from community college, Mateen passed a psychological evaluation as part of his application to be a private security guard.
Florida records show he was deemed mentally and emotionally stable in September 2007 before he went to work for the Wackenhut Corp., later renamed G4S Secure Solutions. The papers indicate he took a written psychological test or had an evaluation by a psychologist or psychiatrist.
In a 2007 application for a gun license, he said he had never been diagnosed with a mental illness nor had any history of alcohol or substance abuse.
As part of the application, he had a medical exam. The paperwork was signed by Dr. Syed Shafeeq Rahman, who is also the imam at the Fort Pierce Islamic Center and has close ties to Mateens’ family. Mateen’s father was a board member at the mosque with about 120 members.
Rahman declined to discuss his relationship with Mateen and his father.
G4S has said that Mateen was subjected to “detailed company screening” when he was recruited in 2007 and was screened again in 2013 with no adverse findings.
But on the job, Mateen ran into trouble. He was removed from an assignment at the St. Lucie County courthouse in 2013 after he made provocative remarks about women, Jews and a shooting at Fort Hood, Sheriff Ken Mascara said.
The FBI investigated Mateen over those comments and again in 2014 because of his ties to a Syrian suicide bomber who went to the same mosque. Both cases were closed without the agency taking action.
The FBI has been investigating how much Mateen’s second wife, Noor Salman, knew about the plot.
On Friday, a person familiar with the investigation said Mateen’s wife text messaged him on the night of the shooting, asking her husband where he was and telling him she loved him.
The person was not authorized to publicly discuss the probe and spoke on condition of anonymity.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
FBI INADEQUATE TO HANDLE TERRORISM, REPORT REVEALS