An American businessman shot at the Istanbul nightclub terrorist attack was saved from major injuries because his cell phone took the bullet.
A Greenville, Delaware man, Jacob Raak, 35, was partying at the Reina nightclub on New Year’s Eve at around 1:15 a.m., along with over 600 other patrons, when a terrorist entered and began firing at the crowd, killing 39 people and injuring dozens more.
Jacob Raak, who owns TECH Manufacturing Corp., an aerospace manufacturer, was hit in the leg by the terrorist’s bullet, but the bullet passed through Raak’s cell phone. Doctors now say the phone might have prevented the bullet from entering a major artery.
Raak was taken to an area hospital with several of the other injured and is now recovering.
Raak is the only American confirmed injured while at the club.
Michael Raak, Jacob’s brother, who lives in Philadelphia, said Jacob called at about 7:30 p.m. Eastern time, which is 3:30 a.m. in Istanbul, and told him he had been shot.
The U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul on Sunday warned American citizens to keep their movements in the city “to an absolute minimum” and that extremists “are continuing aggressive efforts to conduct attacks in areas where U.S. citizens and expatriates reside or frequent.”
The U.S. Embassy in Ankara also said in a statement that “contrary to rumors circulating in social media, the U.S. government had no information about threats to specific entertainment venues, including the Reina Club.”
H/T: Daily Mail
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
ISIS Claims Responsibility For Istanbul Nightclub Shooting