Former North Charleston, South Carolina police officer Michael Slager has been on trial for the 2015 fatal shooting of Walter Scott, an unarmed black man.
Monday afternoon, the judge declared a mistrial after jurors were unable to come to a unanimous decision on the verdict after four days of deliberations. The mistrial was reportedly due to one hold-out juror who blocked the conviction.
The trial had been ongoing for five weeks, and Slager had been charged with murder in Scott’s death. During a traffic stop on April 4, 2015, Scott had taken off running from Slager. A bystander captured the incident on a cell phone, which showed an unarmed Scott running away, as Slager shot him in the back multiple times.
In his defense, Slager said that he feared for his life when Scott grabbed his stun gun and pointed it at him. The North Charleston police department fired Slager after the shooting. He had faced 30 years to life in prison if found guilty.
— ABC News (@ABC) December 5, 2016
— ☕️ (@zakiasuxx) December 5, 2016
The prosecutor has promised to re-try the case.
— Mark Berman (@markberman) December 5, 2016
Governor Nikki Haley said the retrial will be “as quickly as possible.”
— Maya T. Prabhu (@MayaTPrabhu) December 5, 2016
H/T: NBC News
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Liberal Law Puts Violent Black Youths Back on the Streets