The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers states it will close the area where the protesters have been camping for months.
Fox News reports that the access to this camping area will be shutdown on December 5th.
David Archambault, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe chairman, said, “The letter states that the lands will be closed to public access for safety concerns.” The letter also states,”To be clear, this means that no member of the general public, to include Dakota Access pipeline protesters, can be on these Corps lands.”
BREAKING NEWS (Native News Online. net)
Published November 25, 2016
CANNON BALL, NORTH DAKOTA — The Standing… https://t.co/M4LAhpemCb
— Styliani Giannitsi (@stellgp) November 26, 2016
The land to be closed includes the Oceti Sakowin camp, a large parcel of Army Corps land about 50 miles south of Bismarck. This land has been home to many camping opponents of the four-state, $3.8 billion pipeline, for the last several months.
“Our Tribe is deeply disappointed in this decision by the United States, but our resolve to protect our water is stronger than ever,” Archambault said. He is imploring pipeline opponents to continue to fight the pipeline’s permitting process.
Fox reports, “The Standing Rock and Cheyenne River Sioux tribes have been protesting the Dakota Access project out of the fear that it will harm drinking water and cultural sites. Some of the protests have resulted in violent confrontations and hundreds of arrests. A clash earlier this week near the main protest camp left a police officer and several protesters injured, including Sophia Wilansky, who suffered a serious arm injury and is in satisfactory condition in a Minneapolis hospital.
Pipeline developer Energy Transfer Partners disputes that and says, “the 1,200-mile pipeline through the Dakotas, Iowa and Illinois will be safe.”
560 protesters have been arrested since August in the Bismarck-Mandan area and at the main protest camp.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Black Friday Insanity Leads to Two Shooting Deaths