For the second time since March 2017, President Trump’s Hollywood Walk of Fame star was the scene of dueling protests on Sunday afternoon, forcing police to shut down part of Hollywood Boulevard.
The pro-Trump group arrived at 1 p.m. The anti-Trump group organized by RefuseFascism arriving a couple of hours later.
RefuseFascism is the same left-wing group that helped conduct the violent shut down of the Milo Yiannopoulos event at the University of California, Berkeley earlier this year. Their funding comes from a progressive charity that is in turn funded by George Soros.
The demonstrations were relatively peaceful, but at least two people were arrested.
A Los Angeles police sergeant said one man was detained on suspicion of assaulting a 72-year-old native American man who claimed that “a disgruntled Trump supporter” punched him in the face. The man, named Graywolf, received medical aid from a member of the pro-Trump “Proud Boys” group, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.
“He shoved a bullhorn in my face,” said Graywolf. “I pushed him back and he decided that was enough provocation to hit me in the face. He was promptly arrested, and I will be filing charges on this guy.”
Officers stood between the two groups after that incident. Tourists lined the streets watching Trump supporters chanting “America first!” and waving flags while counter demonstrators carried signs that said “No! The Trump/Pence Regime Must Go!”
RefuseFascism has more than 15 marches scheduled to take place in other cities.
A counter protester is injured. A LA proud boy member swoops in for the medical rescue. pic.twitter.com/PSqd4H013Y
— Marcus Yam (@yamphoto) July 15, 2017
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Report: Number of cops dying increase since 2016