According to the AP, Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine sits at the top of Hillary Clinton’s short list for VP.
So why Kaine?
1) Kaine offers Clinton a state-state (VA). Kaine won 52.8 percent of the vote in his last election in Virginia, in 2012, his first run for a U.S. Senate seat, against former U.S. Sen. George Allen, a Republican. Kaine won areas in Virginia that sometimes lean Republican, including Northern Virginia suburbs Loudoun and Prince William counties.
2) He also offers Spanish-speaking skills. Kaine made history in 2013 when he delivered a speech on immigration in Spanish on the floor of the U.S. Senate.
3) He’s been vetted. Kaine’s political experience includes serving as a councilman and mayor in Richmond, lieutenant governor of Virginia and governor of Virginia (the Commonwealth is the only state that limits its governors to one term), and he is currently in his fourth year as the junior U.S. senator from Virginia.
WHAT CLINTON WILL TOUT
During his tenure as governor, Kaine cut the state budget by more than $5 billion. He expanded early childhood and technical education, passed the largest bond package for higher education construction in Virginia history, reformed the state’s mental health and foster care programs, reduced the infant mortality rate, protected open space and the Chesapeake Bay, banned smoking in bars and restaurants, and pushed major rail and public transit improvements throughout the state. Kaine brokered the deal to eliminate Virginia’s estate tax and cut income taxes for thousands of low-income residents.
– Kaine, is 58 years old. He is an avid harmonica player who likes to play bluegrass and gospel tunes.
– He is married with three children.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Bernie Sanders Finally Accepting Defeat