Nearly a week after the new tell-all Trump book came out, in which former Trump senior strategist Stephen Bannon was quoted as having predicted, “They’re going to crack Don Junior like an egg on national TV,” an apology has been issued.
The Breitbart News chief’s comments forced President Trump to issue a lengthy statement Wednesday in which he said, “Bannon has lost his mind.”
Bannon now seems to have come to his senses as he expressed his “unwavering support” for the president and his agenda” in a statement he made on Sunday.
“I regret that my delay in responding to the inaccurate reporting regarding Don Jr has diverted attention from the president’s historical accomplishments in the first year of his presidency,” said a doleful Bannon, adding that he regrets the role he played in the Trump-bashing book, “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House” by Michael Wolff.
Bannon apologizes to Trump, says the “treasonous & unpatriotic” quote was aimed at Manafort, not Don Jr. pic.twitter.com/A9G2RWPL2y
— Paul Joseph Watson (@PrisonPlanet) January 7, 2018
The book quotes Bannon as speculating whether Donald Trump Jr. may have introduced those who attended a June 2016 Trump Tower meeting between a Russian lawyer linked to the Kremlin and top campaign aides to President Donald Trump. “The chance that Don Jr did not walk these jumos up to his father’s office on the twenty-sixth floor is zero,” the book said.
In his statement Sunday, which was first reported by Axios, Bannon went on to praise Donald Trump Jr. as “both a patriot and a good man.”
“There was no collusion and the investigation is a witch hunt,” Bannon wrote.
Former Trump campaign manager and current Trump adviser Corey Lewandowski described the work as “a book of fiction” and said it contained “so many mischaracterizations that it shouldn’t be taken seriously.”
His criticism was echoed by top White House adviser Stephen Miller, who described the book as “garbage” and said Bannon’s role in the presidency “has been greatly exaggerated.”
The top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee said the new book raises concerns about the president’s capacity to do the job, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal.
“I don’t think there’s anyone in Congress frankly of either party who does not concur at least privately with those observations and concerns,” Rep. Adam Schiff (D., Calif.) said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”
BELOW ARE BANNON’S COMPLETE STATEMENTS, as reported by Axios:
- “Donald Trump, Jr. is both a patriot and a good man. He has been relentless in his advocacy for his father and the agenda that has helped turn our country around.”
- “My support is also unwavering for the president and his agenda — as I have shown daily in my national radio broadcasts, on the pages of Breitbart News and in speeches and appearances from Tokyo and Hong Kong to Arizona and Alabama.”
- “President Trump was the only candidate that could have taken on and defeated the Clinton apparatus. I am the only person to date to conduct a global effort to preach the message of Trump and Trumpism; and remain ready to stand in the breech for this president’s efforts to make America great again.”
- “My comments about the meeting with Russian nationals came from my life experiences as a Naval officer stationed aboard a destroyer whose main mission was to hunt Soviet submarines to my time at the Pentagon during the Reagan years when our focus was the defeat of ‘the evil empire’ and to making films about Reagan’s war against the Soviets and Hillary Clinton’s involvement in selling uranium to them.”
- “My comments were aimed at Paul Manafort, a seasoned campaign professional with experience and knowledge of how the Russians operate. He should have known they are duplicitous, cunning and not our friends. To reiterate, those comments were not aimed at Don Jr.”
- “Everything I have to say about the ridiculous nature of the Russian ‘collusion’ investigation I said on my 60 Minutes interview. There was no collusion and the investigation is a witch hunt.”
- “I regret that my delay in responding to the inaccurate reporting regarding Don Jr has diverted attention from the president’s historical accomplishments in the first year of his presidency.”
Exclusive: Bannon expresses “regret” over comments to Wolffhttps://t.co/Ks5R0mo1Lz
— Axios (@axios) January 7, 2018
Steve Bannon apologizes to President Trump in new statement pic.twitter.com/fCZ4k0mNmA
— MSNBC (@MSNBC) January 7, 2018
— David Axelrod (@davidaxelrod) January 7, 2018
For more on this story, click the "read more" button below.
"BUILD THE WALL" bumper stickers now on sale. (BUY NOW)
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Report: Refugee admissions take drastic drop in new year