Ahmed Khan Rahimi, who was charged with setting off bombs in New York and New Jersey pleaded not guilty to attempted murder of police officers and other charges during his Tuesday arraignment.
Rahimi’s federally appointed public defender, Peggy Cross-Goldenberg, told the court that the defense would not be ready by the scheduled March 27 trial date noting that the government had provided so much discovery material.
U.S. District Court Judge Richard Berman, responded to Cross-Goldenberg saying, “We’re going to have a speedy trial. If the 27th is impossible, it’s not going to be long after that.”
According to the New York Times, Assistant U.S. Attorney Nicholas Lewin, told the court that his office desired, “both on the government’s behalf and the public’s behalf a speedy trial in this matter.”
The prosecutor also informed the court that no plea offer would be extended to the defendant and that the government won’t introduce into evidence a lengthy statement collected from Rahimi, in order to keep to a scheduled trial date in March.
Rahimi, an Afghan-born U.S. citizen from Elizabeth, New Jersey, pleaded not guilty to charges regarding September 17 attacks. The incident included the detonation of a bomb in a Manhattan neighborhood that injured 30 people. Another bomb that had been set, did not explode.
After capture following a September 19 shootout with Linden police, Rahimi was questioned by authorities while he was hospitalized.
Lewin, told Judge Berman that Rahimi’s statement was made to law enforcement over several days. He verified that the statement was “taken lawfully” under the public-safety exception to the Miranda rule.
The exception allows authorities to question a suspect before the suspect is represented by a lawyer if public safety is at stake, depending on the situation.
Besides the Manhattan attacks, Rahimi is charged with detonating a pipe bomb along a Marine Corps charity race in Seaside Park, New Jersey, earlier in the day. Another bomb found at a train station didn’t explode.
H/T: NBC NewYork
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Obama Makes History with 231 Federal Inmates Granted Clemency