As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by APNEWS.COM:
FLINT, Mich. (AP) — A judge on Monday ordered Michigan’s state health director to stand trial for involuntary manslaughter in two deaths linked to Legionnaires’ disease in the Flint area, the highest ranking official to stand trial as a result of the tainted water scandal.
Nick Lyon is accused of failing to issue a timely alert to the public about the outbreak. State Judge David Goggins said deaths likely could have been prevented if the outbreak had been publicly known and keeping the public in the dark was “corrupt.”
The article goes on to state the following:
When the judge announced the decision, a woman in the gallery said, “Yes, yes, yes.”
Some experts have blamed Legionnaires’ on the scandal over Flint’s water, which wasn’t properly treated when it was drawn from the Flint River in 2014 and 2015.
Goggins found there’s probable cause for a trial. The legal standard isn’t as high as beyond a reasonable doubt.
“It’s a long way from over,” Lyon told The Associated Press after the judge’s order. He declined further comment.
Michigan official faces manslaughter trial over Flint water. https://t.co/nT5RCK76LG
— The Associated Press (@AP) August 20, 2018
— Law & Crime (@lawcrimenews) August 20, 2018
Michigan health official faces manslaughter trial over 2 deaths linked to an outbreak of legionnaires’ disease in the Flint area. https://t.co/oON0OqmhBf
— CBC News Alerts (@CBCAlerts) August 20, 2018
BIG NEWS ALERT: The highest-level official charged in the #FlintWaterCrisis will be bound over for trial. Nick Lyon, head of the health & human services dept, faces charges of involuntary manslaughter and misconduct in office, among others. https://t.co/i086gjLUtu
— Anna Clark (@annaleighclark) August 20, 2018
Trial Ordered For Michigan Official In Flint Legionnaires’ Deaths https://t.co/P9PdFXnxNj
— WWJ950 (@WWJ950) August 20, 2018
— ABC12WJRT (@ABC12WJRT) August 20, 2018
A judge on Monday ordered Michigan’s state health director to stand trial on involuntary manslaughter charges in the deaths of two men linked to an outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease in the Flint area https://t.co/kidqWxljCM
— The Sacramento Bee (@sacbee_news) August 20, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by APNEWS.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.