Defense Secretary General James Mattis issued a strong warning to North Korea on Sunday afternoon from outside the White House. Mattis said the rogue nation would be met with a “massive military response” if it threatened the U.S or its allies.
“Any threat to the United States or its territories including Guam or our allies will be met with a massive military response,” Mattis said to a gathering of press. He continued, “Kim Jong-Un should take heed the United Nations Security Council’s unified voice. All members unanimously agreed on the threat North Korea poses. And they remain unanimous in their commitment to the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula. Because we are not looking to the total annihilation of a country, namely, North Korea.”
General Mattis said the United States had “many military options” available at this time, and that he was at the White House because the president wanted to be briefed on all of the options.
Mattis’ forceful statement comes in response to nuclear testing activities that took place earlier on Sunday in North Korea.
North Korea successfully tested a hydrogen bomb which was so powerful that set off a richter scale reading of 6.3 magnitude, making it feel like an actual earthquake.
Also on Sunday, in response to the nuclear tests, the U.N. Security Council announced it will hold an emergency meeting to discuss the situation in North Korea.
President Trump had sent out a series of tweets on Sunday condemning the nuclear tests and threatening to cancel all trade agreements with South Korea unless it further cooperates with the United States in dealing with North Korea and its rogue leader. He also sent out a tweet saying, “The United States is considering, in addition to other options, stopping all trade with any country doing business with North Korea.”
President Trump was asked whether the U.S. would attack North Korea as he exited a mass on Sunday. President Trump responded, “We’ll see.” (watch video)
The president said last month North Korea would be met with “fire and fury” if it continued to threaten the U.S. and its allies.
Here is the statement by Mattis on Sunday:
— ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) September 3, 2017
JOIN THE MOVEMENT to SAVE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
Please join the thousands of DML readers who have purchased a bumper sticker. CLICK HERE.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Report: Iran warns off US spy planes in its airspace