The Presidential campaigns are going to the tabloids.
On March 23, the National Enquirer published a shocking story accusing Senator Ted Cruz of multiple extra-marital affairs Cruz wasted no time in condemning the story, and blamed it on Donald Trump:
“I want to be crystal clear: these attacks are garbage,” Cruz said in a statement posted to social media on Friday. “For Donald J. Trump to enlist his friends at the National Enquirer and his political henchmen to do his bidding shows you that there is no low Donald won’t go.”
There’s just one problem with Cruz’s reaction – neither Donald Trump nor his campaign was behind the story.
Instead, reports are coming out that allies of former candidate MARCO RUBIO were actually responsible for spreading the smears.
Reportedly, for months, anti-Cruz groups have pitched multiple versions of sex-scandal stories about Cruz to many different media publications, including Breitbart, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Bloomberg News, Politico, and ABC News – all of which declined to publish the stories, as they could not be verified as true.
“We got it from a Rubio ally,” said one Breitbart official. “It was too thin, so [Breitbart’s Washington political editor Matt Boyle] decided not to run it. There was no way to verify the claims.”
Earlier this month, (March 10-15) a number of Marco Rubio allies and supporters were trying to bring the sex scandal story to the mainstream media’s attention. Using the hashtag, #TheThing, they sent out multiple twitter messages to try to push it forward. After National Enquirer finally broke the story, and Cruz accused Trump, the Rubio clan hurriedly began scrubbing their twitter history. Below are a couple of the now-deleted twitter messages.
One operative claiming to support Marco says their camp is “embarrassed and ashamed” the story leaked out.
The National Enquirer’s parent company, AMI, released a statement on Friday:
“No one influences the reporting that the National Enquirer does other than our own reporters and editors,” according to the statement. “We stand by the integrity of our coverage and remain committed to our aggressive reporting on such an important topic. The National Enquirer, more than any other publication, has been unflinching in its reporting on the 2016 presidential candidates.”
Friday afternoon, Trump disavowed any connection to the Enquirer’s story.
“I have no idea whether or not the cover story about Ted Cruz in this week’s issue of the National Enquirer is true or not, but I had absolutely nothing to do with it, did not know about it, and have not, as yet, read it. Likewise, I have nothing to do with the National Enquirer and unlike Lyin’ Ted Cruz I do not surround myself with political hacks and henchman and then pretend total innocence. Ted Cruz’s problem with the National Enquirer is his and his alone, and while they were right about O.J. Simpson, John Edwards, and many others, I certainly hope they are not right about Lyin’ Ted Cruz. I look forward to spending the week in Wisconsin, winning the Republican nomination and ultimately the Presidency in order to Make America Great Again.”
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
THE TRUMP WAY… Brilliant!