Dead man in busy parking lot went unnoticed for 8 months


One Kansas family is demanding answers after 53-year-old Randy Potter was found dead inside his truck at a busy airport, eight months after being reported missing.

Kansas City police found Potter on Tuesday in the driver’s seat of his truck in the parking lot of Kansas City International Airport. His body was so badly decomposed, investigators had to work to identify it. Relatives of Potter, along with their attorney and hired private investigator, believe Randy died shortly after leaving his Lenexa home on Jan. 17, the last day he was seen alive. Police noticed his corpse Tuesday via the stench emanating from the truck.

Potter’s wife told the Kansas City Star that she doesn’t understand how he wasn’t discovered sooner.

“How is it possible, in America?” Potter’s wife, Carolina, asked the newspaper. “A truck sitting there for eight months? He could have been found a lot sooner if everybody had done their job.”

She now has her attorney working to determine where authorities were negligent in allowing a dead body to sit in the parking lot for so long. Attorney John Picerno is surprised the body wasn’t discovered in June or July when the extreme heat would make the corpse stench unbearable.

“It’s amazing that he wasn’t found in June or July,” lawyer John Picerno told the paper. “Our goal is to find out what happened and why. What was done, what wasn’t done. And to try to make sure that this doesn’t happen again to somebody.”

A Kansas City spokesman said law enforcement is working in tandem with S-P Plus, which manages the airport’s 25,000 parking spaces, to find out what exactly happened.

“The city of Kansas City and its Aviation Department express our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Randy Potter,” spokesman Chris Hernandez said in a statement. “We wish them peace during this difficult time.”

Making the police appear more negligent is the fact that Potter’s niece, Melissa Alderman, had flown to Kansas from Florida in the days after his disappearance, and even asked the police to check the airport parking lot for the truck with his license plate number. She can’t believe her suggestion apparently went unheeded.

“Losing a loved one is hard,” Alderman told the newspaper. “Losing a loved one to suicide is 10 times harder. Knowing that they sat there and baked for eight months — I can’t breathe … How many thousands of people drove by the vehicle? How many people walked by? It’s disgusting. And it’s infuriating. It’s a total disregard for human life.”

If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).

To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.


Comment via Facebook

Send this to a friend