As of Monday, April 24, 992 people have been shot in Chicago in 2017. The data comes from the Chicago Tribune, who reported that the numbers are a little better than last year at this time.
In 2016, the city passed the 1,000 shootings point on April 20. By the 24th, the tally was 1,054.
It isn’t a huge drop, and after a particularly violent weekend, the numbers aren’t encouraging. Especially since the homicide rate is nearly the same this year as last.
In 2016, Chicago saw 180 homicides by this time in the year. Today, there have been at least 179 homicides, 7 of those occurring over the weekend, which also saw 31 others wounded by gun fire.
The numbers result in a shrinking of residents. New census data shows that Chicago lost “more residents than any other US metropolitan area”, according to the New York Post.
In total, Chicago saw 3,550 shooting incidents and 762 murders in 2016, accounting for an average of 2 murders and almost 10 shootings a day.
This last weekend, between 12:30 pm and 9:40 pm, four men were fatally shot and six other people were wounded on Sunday alone.
According to the Tribune:
- At around 12:30 p.m., 30-year-old Ryan D. Thornton was shot in the left cheek, left hip and other areas on the left side while sitting in a vehicle. He was pronounced dead at 2:00 p.m.
- At about 1:05 p.m., a 21-year-old man died and another man, 24, was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn in serious condition with a gunshot wound to the groin a man after a shooter opened fire as they sat in a vehicle when in the Longwood Manor neighborhood. The 21-year-old was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital.
- About 2:45 p.m. a 40-year-old man was wounded in a shooting and listed in critical condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center.
- About 4 p.m., a 21-year-old man was on a bicycle when a gunman fired shots at him. He was shot in the foot and taken to Holy Cross Hospital in good condition.
- At around 7 p.m. Santwon D. Mobley, 22, was fatally shot as he was getting out of a vehicle. He died at 7:59 p.m.
- At about 7:15 p.m., 19-year-old Isaiah E. Sanchez was shot while he was a passenger in a vehicle, and he was pronounced dead at 8:33 p.m.
- About 9:10 p.m., a 21-year-old man was shot when someone fired shots through a door he was opening. His condition was stabilized at Advocate Christ Medical Center.
- About 9:10 p.m., a 25-year-old man was shot in the ankle while sitting outside. He was listed in good condition at Advocate Trinity Hospital.
- About 9:40 p.m., a 19-year-old woman was shot in a drive-by shooting. Her condition was stabilized at Advocate Christ Medical Center.
H/T: Chicago Tribune
JOIN THE MOVEMENT to SAVE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
Please join the thousands of DML readers who have purchased a bumper sticker. CLICK HERE.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Woman on trial for trafficking of 12-year-old girl