Detroit police searching for suspects in Greektown brawl (Video)

Detroit police officials are using images of people, their vehicles and license plate numbers to track down those involved in a Greektown attack that was posted to Facebook early Sunday morning.

The short video, which has since gone viral, shows a mob of 25-40 men punching and kicking multiple victims in Detroit’s popular hotspot, including one young man who was beaten until he was unconscious, reports CBS Detroit.

Instead of helping, bystanders used their cell phones to film the brutal beating while shouting and laughing as the mayhem unfolded.

Calls were reportedly made to 911 during the incident, but by the time authorities were alerted, the commotion had already ended.

One man seen lying on the ground sustained severe head injuries and remains in the hospital. His family later told police he was at the casino celebrating his birthday when the attack occurred.

To watch a 90-second video of the incident on YouTube, CLICK HERE.  Due to it’s graphic nature, we are not allowed to include it on this website.

During a news conference on Monday, Police Chief James Craig said the department is vigorously working to identify all suspects involved in what is being dubbed,” The Greektown Brawl.”  He also said eight individuals have been identified at this point, but no arrests have been made.

The police department plans to release images of the eight perpetrators, whose vehicles were parked at Greektown Casino.

“They left that young man for dead, this is a serious situation and we’re not taking it lightly,” Craig said, adding the motive for the attack has not been determined, though police suspect it was gang-related.

The Greektown brawl follows a recent stabbing incident in Detroit’s Rouge Park, where witnesses posted video to Facebook but did not call the police.

“At a minimum, you call the police … If you can’t do that because you’re too busy doing Facebook live, maybe going forward we should look into charging people who spectate,” Craig said. He added, “As a society, what have we become?”

The police chief also said in the future, officials should consider the possibility of charging spectators at violent incidents.

H/T: CBS Detroit







 

Comment via Facebook

 

Comment via Disqus

Send this to friend