On Sunday, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) issued a statement saying they plan on continuing to “enforce all of the president’s executive orders in a manner that ensures the safety and security of the American people.”
The DHS called the executive order the “first step toward re-establishing control over America’s borders and national security.”
The DHS statement read: “The president’s executive orders remain in place—prohibited travel will remain prohibited, and the U.S. government retains its right to revoke visas at any time if required for national security or public safety. We will faithfully execute the immigration laws, and we will treat all of those we encounter humanely and with professionalism.”
Fox News reported that a federal judge issued an emergency order Saturday night temporarily barring the U.S. from deporting people from nations subject to President Donald Trump’s travel ban, saying travelers who had been detained had a strong argument that their legal rights had been violated.
According to Fox News, U.S. District Judge Ann Donnelly in New York “issued the emergency order after lawyers for the American Civil Liberties Union filed a court petition on behalf of people from seven different Muslim nations who were detained at airports across the country as the ban took effect.”
Stephen Miller, a White House senior adviser, said, “Nothing in the Brooklyn judge’s order in any way impedes or prevents the implementation of the president’s executive order which remains in full, complete, and total effect.”
The order issued by Judge Donnelly states that U.S. border agents can’t remove anyone who arrived in the U.S. with a valid visa from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, and Yemen. The order also covered anyone with an approved refugee application and only affects a few travelers.
Trump has said his executive order is necessary to stop “radical Islamic terrorists” from coming to the U.S. The order includes a 90-day ban on travel to the U.S. by citizens of Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia or Yemen and a 120-day suspension of the U.S. refugee program.
Trump’s executive order banning the travel of people who fall under its jurisdiction has caused protests around the country at several international airports. However, an official with the DHS said Saturday night that “no green-card holders from the seven countries cited in Trump’s order had been prevented from entering the U.S.”.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
BREAKING NEWS: Judge Blocks Trump’s Refugee Executive Order