Matted dog hair can become a challenge for pet owners and their furry companions. Once matted hair develops, it can be unsightly, dirty, and sometimes painful to your dog. It can also become a health issue.
Dogster recommends several grooming tips to help you prevent matted dog hair.
- Train your dog to enjoy — or at least tolerate — grooming so he will remain still long enough for you to brush the mats out of his hair. Begin brushing when your dog is a puppy, even if his coat does not appear to need it. Praise your pup for his patience with grooming and give him treats so he will associate positive outcomes with grooming.
- Pay close attention to areas that tend to mat easily, such as behind the ears and legs, in the armpits, on the underside of your dog and where his collar or halter rubs.
- Prevent mats from forming by using a detangler cream or spray, which can be used before your dog takes a swim. Be certain to use products specifically made for dogs.
- When challenged with severe matting, take your pup to a veterinarian. Out-of-control matting can cause skin irritation or infection that should be treated by a medical professional.
- Consult with your groomer regarding the best way to brush your dog and the kind of brush to use.
- Remember to check the fur on you dog’s paws, where hair that grows in between the pads can get matted. Keep that hair short by using dog clippers to trim it, which are easier than scissors on your pup’s sensitive paw pads.
- Between sitting an pooping, your dog’s hind parts can get messy in a hurry. Clippers are also useful to keep that area neat and clean.
- Remember the value of a good diet, which will help your dog develop a healthy coat that is less likely to become matted. Feed him food and supplements that contain omega-3 or fish oil, and consult with a veterinarian to determine the best amount to be giving your pup.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
US News names the best, most affordable vacation in Caribbean