A Canadian family has to undergo HIV testing after finding a catheter in a tub of pecan ice cream. The family had gathered in Quebec over the weekend to celebrate the birth of a baby boy when the baby’s grandfather went to pick up Coaticook’s pecan ice cream at a nearby store.
Carole-Anne Christofferson, a family member, said that the grandfather was eating the ice cream when he suddenly bit down on a hard object.
At first, he thought it was a pecan, but soon realized it was actually a part of an intravenous catheter, a medical instrument primarily used to remove fluid from a patient’s body.
Three other people also ate from the dessert tub, but the grandfather is at the greatest risk because the tip of the syringe was in his mouth. The family noticed something dark on the tip of the medical device but were not certain whether it was caramel or blood.
As a precaution, everyone who ate from the tub will be tested for HIV, as well as Hepatitis A, B, and C.
Coaticook owner Jean Provencher said he was “baffled” by the incident. Provencher contacted the Canadian Food Inspection Agency to investigate what happened.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT to SAVE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
Please join the thousands of DML readers who have purchased a bumper sticker. CLICK HERE.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Newborn dies after being kissed by adult with herpes