On Tuesday a federal court released the search warrant documents filed by the FBI that led to the re-opening of the Clinton email investigation just days before the presidential election.
The warrant and documents that gave access to a laptop used by Anthony Weiner and Hillary’s aide Huma Abedin were ordered to be released by U.S. District Judge P. Kevin Castel on Monday. Castel stated that the public had a right to see the paperwork.
The application for the warrant stated that “out of the 27 email chains, six email chains contained information that was classified as the Secret level at the time the emails were sent, and information in four of those email chains remains classified at that level now.”
The FBI’s application for the warrant states the laptop used by Weiner and Abedin “was never authorized for the storage or transmission of classified or national defense information” and the FBI told a federal court that they needed a search warrant because the thousands of emails from Hillary Clinton had the potential to cause “grave damage to national security” if disclosed.
Based on findings in the earlier probe of Clinton’s emails, the FBI claimed that emails sent to the laptop justified “probable cause to believe that the correspondence … contains classified information which was produced by and is owned by the U.S. government.”
Days after the court granted the FBI access to look into the newly discovered emails, FBI Director James Comey announced their search contained no new evidence of any wrongdoing by Clinton.
Randol Schoenberg, a Los Angeles lawyer who had sued to obtain the court papers, said on Tuesday that he saw “nothing at all in the search warrant application that would give rise to probable cause, nothing that would make anyone suspect that there was anything on the laptop beyond what the FBI had already searched and determined not to be evidence of a crime, nothing to suggest that there would be anything other than routine correspondence between Secretary Clinton and her longtime aide Huma Abedin.”
The released documents can be seen here.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.