Donald Trump’s response: “People who get permission can enter the White House LEGALLY!”
The Secret Service has announced plans to build a new taller, stronger fence around the White House by 2018. A new concrete foundation will be added, and the height will be increased by 5 feet, to prevent people from jumping the fence. The current fence is only 6 feet tall.
Secret Service official Tom Dougherty said in a briefing, “The current fence simply is not adequate for a modern era. We’ve said that before. It is becoming more and more acutely clear that that is in fact the case. The fence is entirely scale-able, depending upon the circumstances. We now have a society that tends to want to jump over the fence and onto the 18 acres.”
After several people jumped the fence onto the White House grounds, secret service did add small spikes to the top of the current fence last year.
Just Tuesday afternoon, a man who was fleeing in connection with a nearby robbery jumped over the fence near the Eisenhower Building, which is also on the grounds, but did not make it to the second fence that surrounds the White House.
Donald Trump responded to the announcement on Facebook:
JOIN THE MOVEMENT to SAVE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
Please join the thousands of DML readers who have purchased a bumper sticker. CLICK HERE.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE HEADED TO THE BIG HOUSE