After a ground-breaking 20-year run, Fox News’s “The Factor,” formerly known as “The O’Reilly Factor,” was unceremoniously ended on Friday night by Bill O’Reilly’s now ex-colleague, Greg Gutfeld.
Charges of sexual harassment and protests against the network’s biggest star caused 90 advertisers to leave his program, and the Murdoch-owned Fox News cut ties with O’Reilly earlier this week, which they announced while he was on a scheduled vacation in Italy. For this reason, O’Reilly himself didn’t even have the opportunity to say goodbye to his viewers.
As he closed O’Reilly’s show, Gutfeld noted that it was a “sad day.”
During the past 15 years, “The O’Reilly Factor” has been regaled as “the most-watched cable news show.”
“Some of the people on the Factor staff have been here from the very beginning helping Bill O’Reilly create something that had never been done before,” said Gutfeld, adding, “In the 20 years since The Factor has been on the air, Bill changed the way news is done, and his show became a sanctuary for you, our loyal viewers, who are not being well-served by the mainstream media.”
Gutfeld admitted that what he was doing felt wrong. “How do I turn out the lights on such a venerable and amazing show? I can’t. It’s not my show and it’s not my place,” he said. “So on behalf of all of us on The Factor, good night and godspeed.”
O’Reilly’s problems “began when The New York Times reported on April 1 that five women were paid $13 million to settle sexual harassment claims against the host,” according to the report.
Starting Monday, Tucker Carlson will replace O’Reilly’s 8 p.m. time slot.
“The Five,” which features rotating hosts Kimberly Guilfoyle, Dana Perino, Bob Beckel, Gutfeld, Jesse Watters and Juan Williams, will take Carlson’s former 9 p.m. slot.
Sean Hannity will keep his 10 p.m. timeslot.
Watch Greg close out the show, and sound off in the chat box.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT to SAVE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
Please join the thousands of DML readers who have purchased a bumper sticker. CLICK HERE.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
DML Walk & Talk 4/21