A health blogger known as Zhang almost killed herself on an internet live-stream while attempting to demonstrate the health benefits of aloe vera. The trouble was, she mistakenly chose a poisonous plant instead of aloe vera.
During the broadcast, called Aloe Vera Feast, Zhang, 26, held up two large plant leaves that looked very similiar to those from an aloe vera plant, which is edible and does have health benefits.
However, the plant was not aloe vera at all, but rather a poisonous plant called Agave Americana, according to Shanghaiist.
Zhang took a bite of the plant, saying, “This is great!” Then she took another bite, and realized this was no ordinary aloe vera. “Oh, that tastes bitter. Really bitter,” she reportedly said.
Zhang abandoned the live-stream performance and had to be rushed to the hospital, saying her mouth went numb and her throat was “on fire.” She reportedly suffered a severe rash and blisters, and doctors had to pump her stomach to remove all remaining traces of the plant from her system.
The Agave Americana plant reportedly grows in Mexico, and is sold in China as an ornament. It’s sap is extremely irritating to the human body and very harmful if eaten.
Aloe vera, on the other hand, is harmless, and is known to have many health benefits. Zhang just chose the wrong plant, with disasterous results.
"BUILD THE WALL" bumper stickers now on sale. (BUY NOW)
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Trump considers “repeal only” legislation