Hoverboard sparks tragedy, leaving a toddler and firefighter dead

A charging hoverboard sparked off a tragic chain of events that left a three-year-old girl and a veteran firefighter dead in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, on Saturday.

Ashanti Hughes, 3, died on Saturday morning after suffering severe burns in the house fire that was started by the hoverboard. According to a report in the Daily Mail, “[T]wo other girls remain hospitalized in critical condition after the blaze while a man and his teenage son were treated and released.”

Fire Lt. Dennis DeVoe, who was the second fatality related to the incident, was not killed in the fire but while en route to the scene. He was driving to the fire station when his vehicle was slammed into at an intersection by a drunken driver in a stolen vehicle.

Khanyae Kendall, 19, reportedly fled the scene of the car accident but was later arrested. She is being charged with DUI, aggravated assault with a motor vehicle, receiving stolen property, accidents involving injury, and other charges.

“The fire broke out around 7:45 p.m. on Friday night after a hoverboard, which was plugged in to recharge on the first floor, began sparking,” according to the report.

Related News: Toddler Left in Car by Sister Dies (video)

“Somebody was trying to kick out the window because of the smoke or whatever and then all of a sudden I hear a child hit the ground — boom,” recalled one witness.

3E32286500000578-4306020-image-a-7_1489322880010

Several of the firefighters responding to the blaze came straight from the funeral of a retired firefighter who died of cancer. Enterline told reporters that the fire capped off “a devastating evening” for the department.

3E323FEB00000578-4306020-image-m-6_1489322866295

Married with children, DeVoe was a 21-year veteran of the Harrisburg Fire Department. He was reportedly “driving back to the station to pick up his gear when the driver of the stolen car smashed into him,” causing what was described by Harrisburg Police Captain Gabe Olivera as “a horrific scene.”

“Lt. Dennis DeVoe was a leader in our department and the fire service as a whole,” said Enterline.

H/T: Daily Mail







 

Comment via Facebook

 

Comment via Disqus

Send this to friend