ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack in London on Wednesday, according to Prime Minister Theresa May.
Described by witnesses as “Asian and in his forties,” investigations regarding the British-born jihadist and any possible associates are ongoing, said May in a statement.
She said that the attacker was “a British citizen who was known to the police and security services and had been investigated some years ago over violent extremism.”
May described the man as a “peripheral figure” who was “not part of the current intelligence picture.” She noted also that there was “no prior intelligence’ of his intent.
A statement released through ISIS-linked Aamaq news agency said the attacker was a ‘soldier of the Islamic State’.
TEAM DML blankets on sale now for Christmas (BUY NOW)
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Eight arrested in British overnight police raid