Families of eighty-two Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram jihadists are rejoicing after their girls were freed from captivity.
Emotions are running high after it was announced the Chibok schoolgirls were released following tense negotiations between Boko Haram and the Nigerian government.
According to a Nigerian government spokesman, the 82 schoolgirls are the largest group to be released, out of the more than 270 who were abducted from a secondary school in 2014.
Word of their abductions quickly spread across the globe and inspired the #bringbackourgirls campaign, which was backed by a host of celebrities and the former First Lady Michelle Obama.
While the Chibok girls have become a high-profile case, Boko Haram militants have kidnapped countless adults and children, many of whose cases have failed to attract any attention from the media.
The girls remain in military custody in Banki, located in northeastern Nigeria, and are reportedly being airlifted to the nation’s capital of Abuja to undergo medical treatment before reuniting with their families.
Twenty-one of the Chibok school girls were released in October after a deal was brokered by Switzerland and the International Red Cross, while several others have escaped or been rescued.
Below is a video in October 2016, when 21 of the girls were set free and reunited with their families.
A government spokesman said that a large number of girls are still missing and there will soon be an official statement issued on the matter.
In April, President Muhammadu Buhari reportedly said the government was “in constant touch through negotiations, through local intelligence to secure the release of the remaining girls and other abducted persons unharmed.”
The Daily Mail further reported:
The militants have killed more than 20,000 people and displaced more than 2 million during their insurgency aimed at creating an Islamic caliphate in northeast Nigeria.
Despite the army saying the insurgency is on the run, large parts of the northeast, particularly in Borno state, remain under threat from the militants, and suicide bombings and gun attacks have increased in the region since the end of the rainy season late last year.
— Sahara Reporters (@SaharaReporters) May 6, 2017
— GOD of Africa (@AfricaTrend) April 27, 2017
TEAM DML blankets on sale now for Christmas (BUY NOW)
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
King issues order allowing Saudi women newfound freedoms