A fire on a JetBlue flight from New York to San Francisco was caused when the lithium battery in a passenger’s laptop exploded.
No injuries were reported, and the plane safely landed at approximately 8:10 p.m. Tuesday at Gerald R. Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
According to JetBlue officials, flight 915 from John F. Kennedy Airport was diverted “following reports of smoke emitting from a carry-on bag holding an electronic device.”
“I was stunned,” recalled Passenger Kat Honniball, adding that everyone remained calm during the emergency. “I knew something was going to happen, because you know, lithium batteries catching on fire when you’re up at 38,000 feet, you can’t help but think you gotta do something, so I was prepared for it.”
The fire had been extinguished by the time the plane landed, but firefighters arrived on the scene as a precaution, according to airport spokeswoman Tara Hernandez, noting that the plane did continue on its way to San Francisco without further incident.
Recently, talks of banning laptops from international flights have become a pressing issue.
"BUILD THE WALL" bumper stickers now on sale. (BUY NOW)
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Actress attracts unexpected criticism for fat-shaming Trump