In Britain, loneliness among men has been called a “silent epidemic.” The Jo Cox Commission on Loneliness did a survey of 1,200 men that found 11% are lonely on a daily basis. Around 35% reported that being lonely led to depression.
When do men feel loneliest? The average age was 35. Another study showed woman feeling most lonely at 53.
In response to this information, a study was conducted to identify when we peak in different areas of life.
- Language – According to Neuroscience, we can learn a second language anytime, but if we want to do it with fluency and without an accent, we have to start young. When do we peak? Age 8.
- Attractiveness – Matchmaker pro Christian Rudder looked at data to identify “who is attractive to whom, and at what age.” When do we peak? Men find women aged 20-23 most attractive. Meanwhile, females believe a man’s average peak of attraction is at 40.
- Creativity – Researchers tested people aged 4 to 91 in tests designed to determine their ability to think up random sequences. When do we peak? Age 25.
- Chess – The Geroscience Journal Age compared statistics of 96 Grandmaster chess players. At similar career phases, they determined the age that we play chess best is age 31.
- Contentment – This is a wide subject with a few different factors. According to one report, life-partnering makes a difference. Married folks report a peak of 42, while those who weren’t married were happy at 27. On average, when do we peak? Age 38.
- Depression – A 2008 survey describes the classic midlife crisis – we’re depressed over our declining powers no matter who you are. After a massive survey of two million people, numbers were decided. When do we peak? Men are more depressed around 50, for women it’s around 40.
"BUILD THE WALL" bumper stickers now on sale. (BUY NOW)
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.