After receiving criticism from President Trump for his response to Saturday’s terror attacks in London, mayor of the city, Sadiq Khan, is calling on the British government to cancel a state visit from the U.S. president.
In an interview with Britain’s Channel 4 News, Khan said, “I don’t think we should roll out the red carpet to the president of the USA in the circumstances where his policies go against everything we stand for.”
“When you have a special relationship it is no different from when you have got a close mate. You stand with them in times of adversity but you call them out when they are wrong. There are many things about which Donald Trump is wrong.”
Trump posted a tweet Sunday morning that was critical of Kahn’s remarks following the weekend terror attack in London that left at least seven people dead and injured dozens more.
“At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is ‘no reason to be alarmed!'” said Trump’s tweet.
At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is “no reason to be alarmed!”
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 4, 2017
The president’s tweet appeared to be referencing the remarks Khan had made in which he noted that there was no reason for Londoners to be alarmed by the increased police presence in the city.
Khan chose not to respond to Trump’s tweet. His spokesperson said Sunday that the mayor had “more important things to do.”
“He has more important things to do than respond to Donald Trump’s ill-informed tweet that deliberately takes out of context his remarks urging Londoners not to be alarmed when they saw more police — including armed officers — on the streets,” Kahn’s spokesperson said.
This marks the second occasion that Khan has called for Trump to be denied a state visit to the United Kingdom. He previously opposed the idea following Trump’s signing of a “cruel” executive order suspending travel to the U.S. by people from six predominantly Muslim countries.
The three terrorists who perpetrated the London Bridge attack have been identified as Youssef Zaghba, 22, a Moroccan-born Italian, Khuram Shazad Butt, a 27-year-old of Pakistani descent with known jihadist tendencies and Rachid Redouane, 30, who claimed to be Moroccan and Libyan.
In an “unprecedented” decision, more than 130 Muslim religious leaders have refused to offer funeral prayers for the three terrorists.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT to SAVE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
Please join the thousands of DML readers who have purchased a bumper sticker. CLICK HERE.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
TRUMP TWEET: Healthcare & Tax Cuts