Mexican Company Eager to Help Build U.S. Border Wall

A Mexican cement company has announced that it would “gladly” provide an estimate for materials slated for use in building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

When asked by Mexican newspaper Reforma whether Cemex, one of the world’s largest cement producers, would provide an estimate for cement for President Trump’s controversial border wall project, company President Rogelio Zambrano said, “We will gladly do it.”

Zambrano noted that it was unclear if other Mexican companies might participate, or if there would be a demand for Cemex’s cement.

At least 225 companies have exhibited interest in working on the wall project, most of which are construction and engineering firms. The list was gleaned from a website for contractors seeking to engage in business with the federal government.

Contractors hoping to be tapped for wall design and construction face a March 10 deadline for submission of a prototype concept paper, followed by a formal request for proposal due by March 24.

Big name firms that have made their interest in the project known include construction companies like Caddell and Raytheon, a top defense contractor.

Small businesses are also applying for work on the wall project, including 20 owned by Hispanic-Americans.

Trump frequently asserted during his 2016 presidential campaign that Mexico would ultimately pay for a wall stretching along its border with the United States. Mexican officials have voiced their refusal to provide funding for the wall.

Appearing Wednesday on ABC’s Good Morning America, Vice President Pence reinforced Trump’s campaign pledge.

“We’re going to build a wall,” Pence said.” “We’re going to enforce the laws of this country.”

“[Trump] didn’t say Mexico is going to pay for [the wall],” host George Stephanopoulos said in reference to the president’s speech to Congress Tuesday.

“Well, they are,” Pence replied.

In a report released last month, the Department of Homeland Security estimated that the U.S.-Mexico border wall could take 3.5 years to complete and cost up to $21.6 billion.

H/T: The Hill

If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).

To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.







 

Comment via Facebook