As the Missouri state Senate convened Wednesday, State Sen. Jamilah Nasheed, a St. Louis Democrat, did not stand. Cameras inside the senate chamber showed her sitting in what she called a “show of solidarity” with Colin Kaepernick, the San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin who has repeatedly refused to stand during the national anthem played during the NFL football games.
“I decided to not stand for the Pledge of Allegiance today to stand in solidarity with the cause of injustice that Colin Kaepernick has shined a bright light upon. I am not anti-America, and in fact, it is because I love this country that I take this stand,” Nasheed said.
She then added, “I am doing so not because of past transgressions by America, but to call attention to current injustices here in this state and country,.”
She went on to list the “current injustices”:
- The injustice of police brutality — the refusal to mandate police body cameras;
- The injustice of poverty — the underfunding of our public schools;
- The injustice of voter suppression — passing Voter ID laws;
- The injustice of not having health care — not expanding Medicaid;
- The injustice of unlivable wages — refusing to raise minimum wage and the right-to-work attack on labor;
- The injustice of unequal pay for women;
- The injustice of mass incarceration; and
- The injustice of economic disparity.
It shouldn’t be any surprise that Nasheed would follow Kaepernick’s lead. She is an advocate and supporter of the Black Lives Matter movement. Nasheed was arrested in October 2014 after she and another man refused to leave an area in Ferguson, Missouri, where police reportedly told them multiple times that they were not allowed to protest in the area.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Crazed NYC Man Goes After Cop with Meat Cleaver