TEXAS — The mother of a young boy claims her son contracted a flesh-eating bacteria infection from a lake in Texas. The infection, which began as small, strange sores across his back, became increasingly worse within hours.
Layne Custer, who is 3-years-old, went swimming at Lake Sam Rayburn in Zavalla on July 25. Reportedly, he awoke the next morning in severe pain.
According to the boy’s aunt, Samantha Lane, the sores popped up on his back and then spread to his bottom, arm and stomach. His mother, Amber Custer, said that within 48 hours, the sores started to profusely bleed and were turning black in color.
Custer said they took countless trips to nearby hospitals after doctors misdiagnosed him with Impetigo, Pityriasis Rosea, and a viral infection. He has since been given antibiotics and is recovering, News 12 reported.
The director of Rayburn Park told news outlets that an investigation is not yet underway by his department or the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.
The toddler’s infection comes just weeks after a teen from Melbourne, Australia, was attacked by strange sea lice that left his legs profusely bleeding.
Sam Kanizay, 16, was waist deep in the water for about 30 minutes before he got out and realized his legs were profusely bleeding. Kanizay said his ankles were covered in what looked like hundreds of tiny pin holes.
When he went home, Kanizay still could not get the bleeding to stop, so his parents took him to a nearby hospital.
Sam’s father said the medics had no clue what kind of creature could have done this to him. Therefore, Jarrod Kanizay went back to the beach with a net and meat and captured the animals he thinks could have caused his sons injuries.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Suspended oral surgeon dies of suspected overdose