Montana Hiker Viciously Attacked by Bear


Todd Orr, 50, is a knifemaker who was attacked twice by a mother bear in Ennis, Montana on Sunday. He lived to tell the tale of the insane encounter, and shared his story on Facebook. The mother grizzly bear and her cubs spotted Orr in an open field along the trail. Orr tried to soothe the bears from approaching him, but the mother bear charged at him anyways.

Orr yelled and attempted to repel her with bear spray. But the bear was unphased, managing to face-plant Orr into the ground as it savagely mauled him. His face in the dirt and his hands swinging to uselessly block the bear’s claws and teeth, Orr describes the 10-minute nightmare in a Facebook post:

“She was on top of me biting my arms, shoulders and backpack. The force of each bite was like a sledge hammer with teeth. She would stop for a few seconds and then bite again. Over and over. After a couple minutes, but what seemed an eternity, she disappeared.”

The bear then gave up and left. As Orr attempted to scurry his way down the trail to his truck, he heard the bear again. “She either followed me back down the trail or cut through the trees and randomly came out on the trail right behind me… Whatever the case, she was instantly on me again,” wrote Orr. That’s when the second attack came.

“One bite on my forearm went through to the bone and I heard a crunch. My hand instantly went numb and wrist and fingers were limp and unusable. The sudden pain made me flinch and gasp for breath. The sound triggered a frenzy of bites to my shoulder and upper back. ‘I thought this was the end. She would eventually hit an artery in my neck and I would bleed out in the trail… But I knew that moving would trigger more bites so a laid motionless hoping it would end.”

The bear finally stopped, though it stomped on Orr as it left, crushing him. Realizing his pistol was gone, Orr slowly made his way down the trail back to his truck that was 45 minutes away. Thankfully, Orr did not bleed out and found a state trooper, who managed to bring him to a hospital.

“Not my best day, but I’m alive,” Orr wrote. Pictures and video of the grizzly attack can be viewed below, courtesy of Daily Mail:




If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).

To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.


Comment via Facebook

Send this to a friend