According to Sec. of State Rex Tillerson, the United States is now considering whether to restore North Korea to the list of state sponsors of terrorism after North Korean state media warned that they’re prepared to make a “super-mighty preemptive strike.”
“In the case of our super-mighty preemptive strike being launched, it will completely and immediately wipe out not only U.S. imperialists’ invasion forces in South Korea and its surrounding areas, but the U.S. mainland, and reduce them to ashes,” said the Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of North Korea’s ruling Workers’ Party.
Tillerson said on Wednesday that the Trump administration is “reviewing all the status of North Korea, both in terms of state sponsorship of terrorism, as well as the other ways in which we can bring pressure on the regime in Pyongyang to re-engage with us.”
Tillerson’s comments came as Vice President Mike Pence said earlier this week that “an era of strategic patience” in the region is over and warned North Korea not to test Trump or the U.S. military.
Pence said that the United States wants a peaceful solution, but added that the “shield stands guard and the sword stands ready.”
“Those who would challenge our resolve or readiness should know, we will defeat any attack and meet any use of conventional or nuclear weapons with an overwhelming and effective American response,” Pence promised.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
South Korean officials question Trump’s honesty