The Blaze reports 31 year old Otis Gooding, was working at a wine store located in New York City’s busy Grand Central Station, when an E cigarette he had in his pants pocket exploded.
Gooding had been speaking with his co-workers during work at the Central Cellars Wine and Spirits store, on Wednesday, November 23rd, when his E cigarette or vape, just exploded.
John Lee, told CNN he ran behind a pillar in the store once the sparks started flying.
“Unfortunately there was nothing we could do but call the police,” Lee told CNN. “Otis ran water on himself till the paramedics came. I was traumatized to see someone hurt that way,” Lee said.
Lee, a former e-cigarette smoker himself, said the device had been customized. “I’ve never seen one that has so much power, it’s aftermarket customized so you can change the voltage for high performances,” he said.
Gooding suffered third-degree burns and is expected to undergo surgery at the Weill Cornell Medical Center burn unit.
According to CNN, “There have been a number of reports of similar incidents involving e-cigarettes. In May, a vaporizer blew up in a young man’s face in New York, knocking out teeth, ripping a hole in his tongue and leaving his hands covered in burns. Earlier that month, an Alabama teen was burned after a classmate’s e-cigarette exploded and sent a hot battery flying into his face. In February, dramatic gas station security footage showed a man’s leg being engulfed by flames as a result of another apparent e-cigarette explosion.”
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Army Corps Closing Standing Rock Camp