UPDATE 1:45 PM –
FROM THE NEW YORK POST
A 911 caller warned of further explosions right after the blast that rocked Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood and injured 29 people, The Post has learned.
“I’m looking at the explosion down the block. There will be more,” the unidentified male said, claiming to be standing at 23rd Street and Seventh Avenue in the aftermath of the terrifying incident, according to law-enforcement sources Sunday.
Investigators believe the blast was the result of a home-made, pressure-cooker bomb similar to an unexploded device found later on 27th Street, sources said.
Cops were interviewing two men who claim to have spotted a potential person of interest in the case, sources said.
The witnesses were dining at the Krush bar and grill on 32nd Street about a half-hour before the 8:30 p.m. Saturday explosion when they saw an Arab-looking man who was carrying a suitcase and appeared out of place, sources said.
The men called 911 around 11 a.m. Sunday to report what they had seen and were brought to Manhattan for questioning, sources said.
Investigators have obtained surveillance video of a person placing the unexploded device, sources said.
It was found by an older woman who was phoned by a friend checking on her in the wake of the explosion, sources said.
The woman went outside her home and noticed the bomb, then called 911.
State police secured the device, and it was taken to the NYPD firing range at Rodman’s Neck for investigation, sources said.
Initial analysis of the garbage Dumpster that was ripped apart in the blast suggests whatever blew up was placed outside the bin, sources said.
The blast pattern shows the metal is bent inward,and an explosion inside the Dumpster would have bent the metal outward, sources said.
UPDATE 12:30 PM New York City Mayor, Bill de Blasio, held a press conference today at 12:15 p.m. EDT to discuss the bomb explosion that took place last night in Chelsea section of Manhattan. Last night, the progressive mayor would not call the explosion a terror attack. Today, the mayor doubled down on his politically correct position.
Mayor de Blasio said “this was a very serious incident.” He said he does not know the motivation of the attack at this point. “We are not jumping to conclusions. We do not know if this was politically driven. We have no specific evidence of a terror connection to a group. We do know it was intentional. But we’re going to be very careful about delivering the facts. This is a criminal act. We know this is a bombing.” The mayor then repeated his statements in Spanish.
The NYPD Commissioner confirmed Mayor de Blasio’s politically correct statements. He said, “As the mayor said we do not have enough information to confirm the motivation of this attack — whether it is politically or socially driven.” The NYPD Commissioner and the mayor failed to mention if there was religious motivation. The NYPD Commissioner said no group has claimed responsibility.
The NYFD announced that all 29 victims of the attack have been released from local hospitals.
The FBI confirmed that fragments of the bomb are reflective of an IED.
During the Q&A with press, one reporter asked the mayor why he is not declaring the bombing an act of terror when earlier in the day Gov. Cuomo said the event was an act of terror. Furthermore, the reporter asked how the mayor could ignore that the Islamic State’s monthly magazine provides instructions on how to create a pressure cooker bomb. The mayor doubled down by saying “We have a process and we will follow the process to determine the motivation.”
By not identifying the bombing as a terror attack, and by punching down on “this is a criminal act”, the mayor and police commissioner put the public in danger, and create a lax attitude that keep people from stepping forward with information, says Fox News Contributor, Lt. Steve Rogers.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
VIDEO OF VICTIMS FROM EXPLOSION IN NY (VIDEO: GRAPHIC)