President Barack Obama and his administration declared its support Thursday for requiring women to register for the military draft.
While Obama has been pondering the decision since last December, Defense Secretary Ash Carter ordered the military to open all jobs and combat roles to women.
“He thinks it makes sense for women to register for Selective Service, just as men must,” Pentagon press secretary Peter Cook said of Carter and his belief.
“As old barriers for military service are being removed, the administration supports — as a logical next step — women registering for the Selective Service,” White House’s National Security Council spokesman Ned Price said, using the formal name for the military draft.
Unless there’s a national emergency such as a major world war or foreign invasion, women, like men, wouldn’t be forced to serve. Military sign ups are still voluntary, as 220,000 jobs previously restricted to men, including in special operations forces, have now been opened to women since earlier this year.
The U.S. hasn’t had a military draft since the Vietnam War in 1973. Currently, while women are allowed to serve, they are not required to register, whereas all men must register within 30 days of their 18th birthday, or they will not be eligible for student aid or government jobs.
Those in favor of requiring women to register for the draft say it’s all part of “gender equality.”
H/T: AP News
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Soldiers Forced to Pay Back Bonuses Get Relief