President-elect Donald Trump’s transition staff has told the State Department that all politically appointed ambassadors must vacate their posts by Inauguration Day.
A group of ambassadors, i.e., wealthy friends of President Obama, who helped bundle millions for Barack Obama’s presidential campaigns, are having their lives turned “upside down” because President-elect Trump has put a premature end to their ambassador posts, demanding they leave the same time Obama does, January 20th.
According to the New York Times, “the new administration is declining to provide even the briefest of grace periods,” and said, “The directive has nonetheless upended the personal lives of many ambassadors, who are scrambling to secure living arrangements and acquire visas allowing them to remain in their countries so their children can remain in school.”
The Free Beacon published a list of some of the individuals who Obama has appointed as foreign ambassadors, along with amounts of money they have bundled for Obama and the Democrats, who are now scurrying to move out of their “mansion residences” into apartments.
- Ambassador Stafford Fitzgerald Haney. Haney bundled $200,000 for Obama and personally donated over $130,000 to Democrats, is now house hunting in Costa Rica as he “struggles to figure out how to avoid a move back to the United States with five months left in the school year.”
- Andrew H. Schapiro, a Chicago lawyer and friend of Obama since they attended Harvard together, also must leave his “lovely assignment” in the Czech Republic. Schapiro put together $424,450 for Obama during the 2012 campaign, for a total of $1,260,891 since 2007.
- Denise Bauer, who has “bundled” more than $4 million for Obama, is struggling to find a way to stay in Belgium where she is Ambassador so her daughter can graduate high school there. Bauer, a CBS producer in Los Angeles in the 1990s, is listed as a “homemaker” in her bundling disclosures. She raised $2,360,300 for Obama’s 2012 election, and $4,367,187 overall since 2007 and has personally given Democrats $21,675 since 2007, including $9,310 to Obama’s presidential campaigns.
- Pamela Hamamoto, “Barry” Obama’s childhood friend from Hawaii who lives in Geneva, Switzerland as the Permanent Representative of the U.S. to the United Nations. Hamamoto has bundled $1,885,054 for Obama since 2007. Her brother, David Hamamoto, has raised $143,200. Hamamoto s trying to stay in Geneva for her daughter’s high school graduation. Hamamoto was an investment banker for Goldman Sachs and Merrill Lynch. Her husband, Kurt Kaull, has worked at high-profile investment firms with over $1 billion in assets.
- Derek Shearer, a longtime friend of Bill and Hillary Clinton, was reportedly appointed as ambassador to Finland in exchange for a “political debt” from the 1990’s, according to the Free Beacon. Shearer complained that Trump was making them leave so soon, saying, “It feels like there’s an element of spite and payback in it. I don’t see a higher policy motive.”
H/T: Free Beacon
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Big Names Seeking Obama Pardons