As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following opinion editorial by Beckett Adams, published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
The Associated Press reported this week that the U.S. Army is “quietly discharging immigrant recruits.” It sounded quite awful. But it was more misleading than anything else.
The report stated initially that the Army “has moved in recent weeks to discharge immigrant recruits and reservists who enlisted through a program that promised them a path to citizenship. Some of these service members say they weren’t told why they were being discharged. Others say the Army told them they’d been labeled as security risks because they have relatives abroad or because their background checks were pending.”
The intended takeaway was that the president and his immigration hardliners have gone so far as to target even immigrants who’ve joined the U.S. armed forces via the Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest program, or MAVNI.
The article goes on to state the following:
But it doesn’t appear to be that cut and dried. The AP report leaves out an explanation of what the hell is actually happening.
First, it’s a full seven paragraphs before the reader is informed that the AP article is about applicants who’ve only enlisted, but never even started basic training. It’s a bit of a stretch to use the word “discharged” for people who’ve only applied and then failed the prerequisite background check. You can’t be fired from a job for which you were never hired.
Second, it’s unclear just how many MAVNI applicants have been given the boot. The AP claims there are at least 40 cases, but considering that more than 10,000 noncitizens joined or signed contracts between 2009 and 2017, the number 40 suggests this may yet not be a plot to target immigrant recruits.
Third, there’s the fact that the MAVNI program was effectively shut down in 2016 over security concerns. All new recruitment was halted, which put a select group of applicants in a curious “bureaucratic limbo,” according to Military.com’s Richard Sisk.
“The beginning of the end for MAVNI came in the form of a September 2016 memo to the service secretaries from Peter Levine, then the acting under secretary for personnel and readiness,” Sisk reported in April.
Adams slammed the Associated Press report for the misleading story:
This really is the biggest problem. As readers, we’re told something is wrong, but we’re never really given the full context. We’re not told whether this is a new policy implemented by the current administration or whether the rejections are the consequence of the 2016 MAVNI security enhancements. For what it’s worth, a Pentagon spokesperson said Friday that the AP has “mischaracterized” its handling of the MAVNI recruits, adding further that there has been “no change in policy.”
To weigh in on this information provided by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.