A Wichita psychiatrist was stabbed more than 160 times before being left to die outside of his office building. Putting together witness accounts of the incidents that led up to his death, police believe that one of his patients committed the crime.
Dr. Achutha Reddy, 57, an Indian American psychiatrist, was found dead on Sept. 13 in the alley behind his East Wichita, Kansa clinic, Holistic Psychiatry Services. His body was covered with around 165 stab wounds, according to authorities.
Police responded to the scene after they received calls about an attack at the clinic, and pronounced Dr. Reddy dead at the scene.
Umar Rashi Dutt, 21, was jailed in the stabbing death, held on a $1 million bond in Sedgwick County Jail in Kansas, on charges of first-degree murder.
According to a probable cause affidavit, released Thursday afternoon, Dr. Reddy was also beaten and possibly run over on Sept. 13. Court documents say that around 7:20 p.m. on Sept. 13, a call was placed to 911 stating that “Omar Dutt” had stabbed Dr. Reddy, then run out of the back of the clinic which Dr. Reddy owned, located in Carriage Parkway.
According to the affidavit, here is the timeline of events:
- 5:45 pm – Another therapist in the business notified Dr. Reddy that Dutt was in the front lobby. Dr. Reddy said Dutt did not have a scheduled appointment. Dutt was reported to have been on his cell phone, possibly texting.
- 5:55 pm – The same therapist said she left the business and saw Dutt standing behind Dr. Reddy’s car. She didn’t speak to him.
- 7:05 pm – An employee of Dr. Reddy’s said she heard Dr. Reddy calling out for help from his office. She ran into the office to find Dutt stabbing Dr. Reddy, and after separating the men, Dr. Reddy ran out the back of the business, however Dutt followed him.
- 7:46 pm – The department says they received a call from a security guard, Larry Mazur, at the Wichita Country Club. He reported seeing a gold Toyota Camry in the parking lot. He said he approached the vehicle to take down the license plate number of the unfamiliar vehicle and found a young male sitting in a car, with blood all over his body.
- Police arrived at the country club and arrested Umar Rashid Dutt, who is also Indian American.
Mazur reported that he’s spoken with Dutt, asking if he was okay. Dutt said he had been beaten up.
Mazur said the man had was wearing khaki shorts which were saturated with blood, and that there was also blood on the driver’s side door. He said the man gave him the name “Krishna-Rashid,” and told him he was going to see his mother who lived on Webb Road. Mazur said when he asked Dutt if he had any weapons, the man replied, “I took the knife from them.”
Police found a baseball bat in the backseat of Dutt’s vehicle, as well as what appeared to be blood in the tire tread on the vehicle and blood on the front passenger side bumper.
After a search warrant was obtained for the vehicle, detectives reportedly found a bloody folding pocket knife and a button-up shirt with large amounts of blood on it, according to KWCH.
Dutt’s preliminary hearing is scheduled for January 3, 2018.
Dr. Reddy was a specialist in absolute yoga, which connects mind, body and breath.
Holistic Psychiatric Hospital released a statement, written by psychotherapist Brenda Trammel, on Sept. 14 which read in part: “Yesterday, we experienced a great loss in our lives. Dr. Reddy was an amazing, compassionate man who was kind and loving to anyone he met.”
Indian doctor Achutha Reddy, 57, who hails from Telangana, was chased and killed by Umar Rashid Dutt in Witchita,… https://t.co/xsiiCod6ei
— Dr Pratyush Ranjan (@DrP_Ranjan) September 15, 2017
— Scallywagandvagabond (@ScallywagNYC) October 7, 2017
— Devon Fasbinder (@KWCHDevon) October 5, 2017
— Ashonti Ford KSN (@AshontiFordKSN) September 18, 2017
Umar Dutt makes his first court appearance. He is accused of killing Dr Achutha Reddy. Next court date is Oct 3. pic.twitter.com/cSl0Q0iPfI
— KAKE Lily Wu (@KansasLily) September 18, 2017
— Devon Fasbinder (@KWCHDevon) October 5, 2017
People are gathering here outside of Dr. Reddy’s office in east Wichita pic.twitter.com/oEULpAwZYb
— Chris Arnold (@ChrisArnoldKSN) September 14, 2017
— KWCH Eyewitness News (@KWCH12) September 14, 2017
— Prasanna Viswanathan (@prasannavishy) September 15, 2017
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
DACA allowed illegal alien child molester to work at summer camp