Will military be needing funds for transgender surgeries next?
Brad Carson, charged with making controversial changes to military policies, has decided it’s a perfect time to move on. He is a former Oklahoma congressman, and longtime advocate of transgender rights. His “bold and fast” move to lift ban on transgenders in the military is still under review.
Reportedly, Defense Secretary Ashton Carter will make a decision this spring whether transgender ban will be lifted.
In July 2015, Secretary Carter wrote in full favor of lifting the ban: “As I’ve said before, we must ensure that everyone who’s able and willing to serve has the full and equal opportunity to do so, and we must treat all our people with the dignity and respect they deserve. Going forward, the Department of Defense must and will continue to improve how we do both. Our military’s future strength depends on it. We have transgender soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines – real, patriotic Americans – who I know are being hurt by an outdated, confusing, inconsistent approach that’s contrary to our value of service and individual merit.”
Washington Examiner reports: The Pentagon official who proposed including transgender individuals and women in the military announced Monday he will resign from his post next month.
Brad Carson, the Defense Department’s top civilian over personnel policies, will leave the Pentagon in April. Carson had served in that role since 2015 and had been charged with making controversial changes to military policies. He ran into other problems last month when the Senate Armed Services Committee ruled Carson had violated the federal Vacancies Act by taking on responsibilities of the job prior to his confirmation.
“I believe it is a perfect time to move on,” Carson said.
The former Army lawyer proposed policies that would encourage the military to make changes would affect up to 1 million troops, but the transgender reforms have not yet been enacted.
“There are people who say that the Pentagon can never reform itself,” Carson said. “I believe Dr. Carter and our team have shown that it can.”
Todd Harrison, a military budget expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, also praised Carson’s work. “Carson is one of the good guys who came in to the position really trying to make some lasting change for the better,” Harrison said. “He had been given a mandate by Secretary Carter to be bold and move fast and he did. The problem is that the bureaucrats are entrenched and do not respond well to bold and fast.”
(Via Washington Examiner)
JOIN THE MOVEMENT to SAVE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
Please join the thousands of DML readers who have purchased a bumper sticker. CLICK HERE.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
AMERICAN WHO JOINED ISIS SURRENDERS