An actress’ rape allegations against Harvey Weinstein are credible, said New York City police on Friday. They further stated that if the crime had been committed more recently, Weinstein would have been arrested immediately.
“If this person was still in New York, and it was recent, we’d go right away and make the arrest. No doubt,” Boyce said of Weinstein. “But we’re talking about a 7-year-old case. And we have to move forward gathering evidence first.”
Actress Paz de la Huerta of “Boardwalk Empire” has publicly accused Weinstein of raping her twice in her apartment in 2010 and called police about it on Oct. 26, according to Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce, noting that investigators have interviewed her and found her story believable. Two people corroborated portions of her account and others have been subpoenaed.
“[She has] the ability to articulate each and every minute of the crime, where she was, where they met, where this happened and what he did,” Boyce said.
Weinstein, 65, has previously denied all allegations of non-consensual sex.
The investigation comes a month after The New York Times published an expose of sexual harassment allegations against Weinstein, leading to his firing from the company he co-founded and his ousting from the organization that bestows the Academy Awards. Since then, dozens of women have come forward to tell similar tales of harassment or assault.
Investigators in London and California were also looking into allegations made by women, but no other department has suggested allegations could result in criminal charges. New York has no statute of limitations on rape.
De la Huerta told CBS News that the first rape occurred in October 2010 after Weinstein gave her a ride home from a party, insisted on having a drink in her apartment and forced himself on her. She said the second rape occurred in December 2010 after Weinstein showed up at her apartment. She had been drinking and was not in a condition to give consent, she told reporters.
Police said she didn’t come forward earlier because she was afraid of damaging her career and wasn’t sure anyone would believe the allegations against such a powerful Hollywood player.
Weinstein has an apartment and had an office for his production company in New York City, but his exact whereabouts Friday were unknown. Boyce said Weinstein knows police wish to speak with him. Weinstein’s representatives have not responded to media inquiries about where he is, but TMZ on Friday posted a photo of a man it said was Weinstein in disguise eating at a Phoenix restaurant. A call to that restaurant confirmed that he ate there Thursday night.
In order to bring the allegations to a grand jury to seek an indictment, New York City investigators need collaboration from Manhattan prosecutors, who stopped a 2015 investigation into Weinstein. Back then, investigators conducted a sting operation with victim Ambra Battilana Guiterrez, but no charges were brought, because the district attorney concluded they were not supported.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Frantic 911 call: “My wife just shot her kids”