Two sons of the late Saudi Arabia King Abdullah were released from their detention on Thursday, according to Reuters, as the kingdom continues its anti-corruption crackdown.
Saudi Araia’s attorney general released Prince Meshaal bin Abdullah and Prince Faisal bin Abdullah, who along with some 200 other royal family members, government ministers and businessmen, had been detained in a government “anti-corruption purge” led by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
“Saudi security forces … converted the Ritz-Carlton into a luxurious prison for them in early November in what Riyadh said was a crackdown on corruption,” Reuters reported.
The two prince’s were released from the hotel after a financial settlement with the government was negotiated, a senior Saudi official told Reuters.
A third brother, Prince Turki bin Abdullah, continues to be under detention, according to the source, pending an agreement about his release.
According to the report, the princes were released within days of the release of nearly two dozen other captives, which was reported by Saudi newspaper Okaz on December 26. The remaining detainees must also reach a financial agreement with the government, or face trial.
The details of the settlement the princes reached with the government, including the amount, were not revealed, however past settlements reached $1 billion.
The most powerful of King Abdullah’s sons, former National Guard chief Prince Miteb bin Abdullah, was released last month after agreeing to pay the government $1 billion.
Prince Miteb had been the last member of Abdullah’s Shammar branch of the family to retain a key position in the Saudi power structure, after Prince Meshaal and Prince Turki were relieved of their posts as governors in 2015.
On December 4, a Saudi minister announced that they would channel billions of dollars in seized funds from the anti-graft campaign into economic development projects, according to AlJazeera.
— Dunya News (@DunyaNews) December 29, 2017
"BUILD THE WALL" bumper stickers now on sale. (BUY NOW)
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Photos released of grandfather beat and carjacked on Christmas Eve