A New York Post report suggests they were protecting their wallets as well, saying the company was potentially facing a $100 million lawsuit. From the article:
The specter of a $100 million libel suit scared CNN into retracting a poorly reported story that slimed an ally of President Trump’s — and forcing out the staffers responsible for it, The Post has learned. The cable network’s coverage of Trump transition team member Anthony Scaramucci came amid federal scrutiny of corporate parent Time Warner’s pending purchase by AT&T — and the widespread belief among media execs that CNN President Jeff Zucker can’t survive a merger. CNN immediately caved after Scaramucci, a financier and frequent network guest, cried foul and threatened to take legal action, sources said Tuesday. Scaramucci got an unusual public apology but still hired a top Manhattan lawyer to put further pressure on CNN and “look after [his] interests in this matter,” one source said.
This latest report is just piling on, as the whistleblowing organization Project Veritas got to CNN earlier this week, releasing a series of videos exposing how CNN producers fabricate fake news stories.
The Post report also mentions how executive leadership forced the resignation of the three reporters, stating:
Sources also said the three journalists responsible for the retracted story — reporter Tom Frank, editor Eric Lichtblau and Lex Haris, who headed the CNN Investigates unit — were urged to resign. “They called them in and said they’d pay out their contracts, but they should leave immediately,” one source said.
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Political rivals wage Twitter war over healthcare