As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WashingtonPost:
SEOUL — North Korean officials did not turn up to a Thursday meeting with the U.S. military about repatriating the remains of the war dead, according to a U.S. official with knowledge of the situation.
The two sides had been expected to meet at the Korean Peninsula’s demilitarized zone and discuss the return of U.S. troop remains from the 1950-1953 war — an arrangement that the State Department had announced after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s visit to Pyongyang last Friday and Saturday.
The article goes on to state the following:
State Department officials had said that the meeting would likely take place on July 12, though they had said that the date could shift.
On Thursday, however, Department of Defense and United Nations Command officials were left waiting in the DMZ’s Joint Security Area. The expected North Korean officials never arrived, according to the official who requested anonymity as he was not permitted to talk publicly about the event.
“We were ready,” the official said. “It just didn’t happen. They didn’t show.”
In a statement released to reporters on Thursday, South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said that North Korean military officials were now seeking a meeting with their U.S. counterparts on July 15.
To weigh in on this information provided by WashingtonPost, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.