Below is a report that DML News gives a 4 OUT OF 4 STARS trustworthiness rating. We base this rating on the following criteria:

  • Provides named sources
  • Reported by more than one notable outlet
  • Does not insert opinion or leading words
  • Includes supporting video, direct statements, or photos

Click here to read more about our rating system.

As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by SUN-SENTINEL.COM:

Broward schools have scrapped plans to install metal detectors at the start of the year at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High.

In a letter sent to parents Friday afternoon, Superintendent Robert Runcie said many issues have arisen, and plans will be put on hold. A School Board workshop is scheduled for Aug.14 to discuss metal detectors and other security issues. The first day of school is Aug. 15.

“As we continue our due diligence to implement the program — consulting with vendors and experts and reviewing turnkey solutions — many issues have been raised that require the District to pause and have a more thoughtful discussion on policy and procedural aspects of this pilot,” Runcie wrote.

The article goes on to state the following:

The issues include how to get 3,300 students through the school at the same time, how to staff them, what kind of equipment is needed, how to protect student privacy and what limitations the devices may have, the letter states.

Since the tragedy, the district has received a number of offers to donate metal detectors. Officials said last month they were still studying which ones to use.

“Overpromise and underdeliver. Truly sad,” said Michael Udine, a county commissioner and former mayor of Parkland, whose kids graduated from Stoneman Douglas.

The reversal marks the second time this week the school district has flip-flopped on major plans involving Stoneman Douglas. A week after hiring a retired Secret Service agent to review the actionsof administrators related to the Feb. 14 massacre, Runcie announced Wednesday he was suspending that investigation. He said the investigation would likely duplicate the work being done by a state commission that’s also investigating what happened.

The metal detector move frustrated parents like Steve Brown, whose son attends the school.

“They’re not doing the things parents want to make the school safer,” Brown said. “It’s a week and a half until school starts and I don’t feel any safer than I did in March or April.”

To weigh in on this information provided by SUN-SENTINEL.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here