As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by YAHOO.COM:
Los Angeles (AFP) – Oscar-winning film director Roman Polanski is suing the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, demanding his reinstatement nearly a year after the organization expelled him amid the #MeToo movement.
Polanski, who in 1977 pleaded guilty in California to statutory rape, argued in a court filing in Los Angeles that the academy wrongly denied him a hearing when it voted in May to oust him amid the nationwide furor sparked by sexual-abuse revelations against famed producer Harvey Weinstein.
The article goes on to state the following:
The complaint, filed to the Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles on Thursday, says the academy’s board of governors convened on January 26 to re-examine its decision, and confirmed it. Polanski had been a member since 1968.
“The procedures taken to expel Mr Polanski were fair and reasonable,” an academy spokesperson said in a statement cited by Variety. “The Academy stands behind its decision as appropriate.” It did not elaborate.
— Hollywood Reporter (@THR) April 19, 2019
Roman Polanski, who sexually assaulted a teenager in the 70s and has been a U.S. fugitive for 40 years, is suing to be put back in the Academy. It expelled him last year over “ethical standards” in the post-Harvey Weinstein landscape. pic.twitter.com/XcNygM80F8
— AJ+ (@ajplus) April 19, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit YAHOO.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.