Oprah Winfrey’s Golden Globe Awards speech on Sunday night gave rise to the notion that the billionaire TV host is considering a run for the White House in 2020.
Winfrey has neither confirmed nor denied the rumor while liberals beg her to run against President Donald Trump under the hashtag #Oprah2020.
Oprah has been in the national spotlight for three decades and she obviously leans left, but media outlets are now wondering what an Oprah Winfrey presidency might look like.
Here are some facts about the media mogul’s political leanings, as compiled by the Daily Caller.
- She’s advocated for a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants and claimed in a 2013 commencement address at Harvard University that “most Americans” want those 12 million illegals already here to get a pass.
- She’s called for stricter gun control and has questioned whether Americans should be permitted to own assault rifles.
- She’s always been a staunch supporter of the Democratic National Committee and has donated funding to Democratic candidates in the past, including a formal endorsement for former President Barack Obama in the 2008 election. She was also an outspoken supporter for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election, calling Clinton’s candidacy a “seminal moment for women.”
- She’s supportive of gay marriage and once suggested that gay couples being able to get married might help the institution of marriage itself.
- She’s long been an advocate for education and loves to give the downtrodden access to better opportunities. To that end, she start a school for girls in South Africa and also donated $6 million to United States charter schools through her Angel Network foundation.
Ben Shapiro, editor-in-chief of The Daily Wire, said on Fox News on Monday that Oprah Winfrey’s speech at Sunday’s Golden Globes was 20 years too late.
“What the hell kind of risk was she taking? She was standing in front of an entire town filled with sexual abusers and harassers. She said nothing about it for 20 years,” Shaprio pointed out. “She’s being cheered by people who said nothing about it for 20 years and there she is pretending that she’s leading the fight. In what way has she led the fight?”
According to Shapiro, Oprah’s speech had absolutely no effect on the entertainment industry.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
CNN avoids hot topic in interview with Bernie Sanders (video)