Multiple reports say Secretary of State Rex Tillerson held a press conference Sunday in Saudi Arabia that didn’t include U.S. reporters. Some in the liberal media are complaining through social media.
U.S. reporters hit Twitter with messages, telling followers that the White House had not publicly informed U.S. correspondents of the planned event.
The Washington Post’s White House Bureau Chief, Philip Rucker, tweeted: “Sec State Tillerson is holding a news conference right now in Riyadh, per WH pool, but US reporters were not invited or told about it.”
Sec State Tillerson is holding a news conference right now in Riyadh, per WH pool, but US reporters were not invited or told about it.
— Philip Rucker (@PhilipRucker) May 21, 2017
MSNBC’s Joy Reid also shared the news via Twitter. Her tweet read: “U.S. reporters apparently were not invited to Rex Tillerson’s press conference today in Riyadh.”
— AM Joy w/Joy Reid (@amjoyshow) May 21, 2017
Excerpts of Tillerson’s comments from the press conference mirrored those made by the president earlier in the day. “I think what you heard is the expression of this administration’s policy and views not just toward this region, but toward American relationship with the Muslim world here as well as more broadly,” he said.
After U.S. reporters complained about being shut out, the White House put out a statement indicating that Tillerson will hold a press gaggle for them on Monday while traveling on Air Force One. White House correspondent Kaitlan Collins tweeted: “The White House has now told the pool that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will hold a brief gaggle on Air Force One tomorrow.”
Tillerson has said previously that he’s “not a big media press access person.” In March 2017, Tillerson stated, “When I have something important and useful to say, I know where everybody is and I know how to go out there and say it.”
The White House has now told the pool that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will hold a brief gaggle on Air Force One tomorrow.
— Kaitlan Collins (@kaitlancollins) May 21, 2017
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Rubio: People got what they voted for (video)