On Monday, the second annual “Federal Fumbles” report was released by Sen. James Lankford. (See full report here). The list details the absurdity of some of the things the United States government spends taxpayer money on. Lankford summarizes the list as “the federal government dropping the ball.” The report is about 154 pages long.
“For every one of these as we did last year, we’re focused on the same thing. We’re not just trying to raise the problem, we’re also trying to raise how do you solve it,” Lankford told reporters. He also pinpoints the four areas that serious government reform is needed for: oversight of grants, regulatory policy, agency inefficiency and lack of coordination between agencies.
Below are five listed bizarre areas that government taxpayer money was used for, highlighted by the Independent Journal Review:
- Counting the number of sea ducks– Around $180,000 was spent by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service to develop safer practices to count the increasingly population of sea ducks.
- Gas station tofu as a health food- The United States Department of Agriculture attained funding to include healthier food options for those on food stamps, so foods like milk, tofu and shrimp have been added to numerous gas stations.
- Recreating Medieval Times smells- The Institute of Museum and Library Services, National Endowment for Humanities and National Endowment for the Arts felt it was necessary to spend $495,000 of federal money to recreate the aromas of the Medieval Times for scientific interest.
- Stopping Americans from swimming with dolphins– The United States Department of Agriculture attempted to acquire extra funds to establish a rule that would ban Americans from swimming with dolphins.
- Defunding Christmas- The USDA wants to penalize the Christmas tree industry’s growers by implementing a “war on Christmas” tax.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Donald Trump Certified As Winner In Michigan